Monday, July 27, 2009

[May Maddness-part2]

What else could we have fit into May you ask....well....a trip to South America of course!

That's right! We left a week after graduation for BRAZIL!!

At the end of May, Peter and I boarded a plane set for Fortaleza, Brazil, where we enjoyed a fabulous 11 day trip! It was really special to visit the in-laws, but our main purpose for going was to be apart of the wedding of Josh and Karina.

Crazy right?! Yes, it was. But it was a blast. Not to mention it was my VERY FIRST time to Brazil and to South America.

Most folks have asked me what my biggest "awe" factors were or the cultural differences I noticed, and I would have to say, that aside from the traffic (which if you have ever been to ANY third-world country, you understand there is no such thing as structured traffic. Everyone one (and thing) competes for the one sliver of road that appears not have any pot-holes. Which is another oxymoron--since they are everywhere!) But...like I was saying...besides the traffic...I think the most interesting thing I was struck by was the "normalcy" of the culture.

For some reason, probably because I'd never been to anther country other than Mexico, I had this preconceived notion that the people there were going to be so different. But that wasn't my experience. Even though they spoke a language I didn't understand, I still felt like I "understood" them....maybe through body language...but perhaps more simply, because they too, were people.

I also had an amazing time at the traditional Brazilian steakhouses, which for this good ol' Midwestern girl, was NO problemo at all. Love me some steak!

The most treasured part of the trip for me was getting to see where Peter grew up. To step foot in his home (which was wonderful and Mom and Dad Barber were awesome!), see his bedroom, meet his dog Daisy, visit his church, and meet some of his childhood friends was truly priceless. THAT made the trip. Not only did it give me a glimpse into a Peter I've never really known, but it gave me such an appreciation for his childhood. It also gave me the precious gift of memory—a mental picture of life in brazil.

And how could I forget to mention the wedding...josh and karina! Oh, that too, was so special. Apart from the fact that it started in the weeee hours of the morning, when most people would just be waking up, it was a wonderful day. For the most part, the wedding went off without a hitch....only 3 bridesmaids, instead of the guesstimated 5, were late that morning. haha. And the rain thankfully stayed away for most of the morning. It truly was a wonderful day, honoring and celebrating with Josh and Karina Barber, who are now back here in the States, living near Grand Rapids, MI.

Below are just a few photos of our time in Brazil... enjoy!
Overlooking Jauazerio do Norte

Side yard of Barber's house

Another city shot from high

At the statue below overlooking the city

Famous statue called "Padre Cicero"

The pilgrims tie these ribbons and write padre cicero


We went to these waterfalls one day

brave Peter took a jump...

and so did the other barber men...

Karina doing my nails...she paints these beautiful designs!

Came upon a pick-up game...really wanted to join in!


but we did get to play some soccer there....awesome!

traffic at night

day of wedding, setting up all the chairs

the wedding cake!

the happy married couple!

the beautiful bride and my new sister-in-law!

No comments: